Our Mission & History
The Mission of Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community is to operate a non-profit retirement community guided by Christian ideals to offer a continuum of care to all people to promote independence and the highest quality of life and to provide physical and financial security.
In 1955, a visionary bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Western North Carolina and two generous donors, who caught his enthusiasm and financed his dream, created a retirement community on thirty acres of farmland outside of Asheville, NC. A half-century later, Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community has grown into a prestigious, nationally-acclaimed Life Care retirement community.
Bishop George Henry and his patrons, Mr. And Mrs. Charles Timson, are commemorated in the names of Henry and Timson Halls, Deerfield’s stately mid-rise apartment buildings. They are a part of an expansion in the nineties that took Deerfield from a beloved local health care institution to a premier Life Care community. In 2010, Deerfield opened a third mid-rise apartment building named in honor of Reverend John W. (Jack) Tuton, the one-time rector of Trinity Church in Asheville who shared Bishop Henry’s dream of an Episcopal retirement community.
Located on 125 beautiful acres just south of the renowned Biltmore Estate and the Blue Ridge Parkway, Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community is the premier senior living community in one of America’s most desirable retirement locations. Red roofs, stucco and stonework define the look of Deerfield, while tree-shaded lanes bordered with azaleas and rhododendron meander through the walkable community. Health services, the wellness center, and all amenities are easily accessible under one roof from the apartment buildings. The design of Deerfield captures the arts and crafts architectural style that characterizes Asheville.